Back to News
Dog Training Tips: The Educated Dog
Finding the right dog trainer and class for your pupA dog that has not been given any instructions, training or boundaries cannot possibly know what you expect of him. Someone must train a dog what behaviors are appropriate and which are not. By training your dog how you want him to behave, you’ll not only have a saner household, but a healthier and happier dog as well! The well-taught dog:
- Allows you to handle every part of his body to check for injury and to give him medication.
- Will stay next to you, and looks to you for guidance.
- Will walk next to you without pulling or dragging you down the street.
- Knows “drop it” and “leave it”.
- Knows sit, down, stay (A dog that is lying down cannot jump on to people).
- Knows their name and can focus on their owner through the most distracting situations.
- Does not try to rush out the door anytime it is opened, get into the trash, or chew things they are not supposed to have.
- Has good manners and can spend most of his time indoors with his people.
- Browse the trainer’s website and any other marketing materials.
- Does everything look and sound professional?
- Do the messages appeal to you? If so, set up a phone call or in-person meeting.
- Can the trainer answer your questions about training, behavior, and methods knowledgeably and clearly?
- Is she (or he) patient and thorough in her replies?
- Do you feel comfortable with her?
- Does she have experience working with the problems you need help with?
- Can she provide references from clients?
Sign your pup up for an AHS training class today and have the most well-behaved dog on the block!
Don't live in Arizona? CCPDT and ADPT can help find a credible dog trainer near you!