Pet Safety'Tis the season to be merry, but as homes fill with holiday spirit the Arizona Humane Society urges pet owners to please be cautious with curious pets who may encounter many hazards they wouldn’t normally be exposed to. This holiday season, please keep your pets safe with these tips:  

Lost pets:

Pets can easily be lost in the rush of the holidays. Put on their collars and make sure their tags are up to date. Have their microchip checked by their vet and update their contact information if you’ve moved or changed numbers. During a party, secure your pets in a private room. Even if your pets love to be part of the action, this is the time of the year for pets to get out when guests come in.   Microchipping at the Arizona Humane Society is just $35. It's quick, easy and greatly increases the chances of finding your pet if they are lost. For more details on this and other holiday pet health services, call our Pet Resource Center at 602.997.7585 Ext. 3800.  

Poisonous holiday plants:

Poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, and Christmas rose are poisonous and should be kept out of your pet’s reach.  

Holiday décor:

Tinsel, ribbon, glass ornaments, gift wrap and other tree décor may entice mischievous puppies and kittens, but if ingested, these items could cause serious damage to the intestine and may have to be surgically removed. To avoid this, decorate the bottom third of your tree with non-breakable, plastic or wooden ornaments or only embellish what’s out of reach.  

Bright, twinkling string lights:

Watch your pets around lights as they could be in for a shocking surprise. Be sure holiday lights don’t hang too low and remember to unplug the lights when you’re not able to supervise your pets.  

Toxic tree water:

Pine sap, mixed with water, makes a poisonous drink for pets, so keep the water stand covered with tin foil.  

Holiday feast:

The high fat content in the traditional holiday meal may cause your pet to develop an upset stomach or worse, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Chocolate is also very toxic so keep sweets on high table tops. NEVER give your pet alcoholic beverages.   If your pet exhibits signs of persistent vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea and listlessness, seek medical attention with your family veterinarian immediately.
December 4, 2014