Back to News
ABC 15: Adopting a Pet for the Holidays
- AHS' Field Operations Manager Chris West warns against purchasing a pet online and being scammed by breeders, especially during this time of year.
- Red flags include the demand to wire money upfront and refusal to allow you to see the pet or property in person.
- If you purchase a pet from a pet store, there is more protection under a pet "lemon law," which gives you 15 days to prove the pet was sick when purchased, and 60 days to prove hereditary health conditions.
- AHS is supportive of those who are looking to adopt a pet as a gift during the holiday season! We believe that you know your recipient better than we do, and we are here to help every step of the way. If things don't work out and the pet is not the best fit, or vice versa, our 100 percent adoption guarantee ensures that you can return your pet to us at any time for any reason.
- AHS encourages all pet lovers to adopt, not shop! All of AHS' adoptable pets come with spay/neuter surgery, a microchip, all current vaccinations, a bag of Hills Science Diet food, a free follow-up veterinary exam with VCA Animal Hospitals and special adopter discounts on programs and services (such as merchandise in Petique or Dog Training classes). Plus, you can't put a price on saving a life!